The Illinois Valley Community College Board approved an Associate of Applied Science degree in Dental Assisting.
“After discussion with the dental assisting advisory board, local dentists, current and past students, it is apparent the AAS in Dental Assisting would be beneficial to future, current and past students from a continuing education and employment perspective,” program coordinator Heather Seghi said.
The 60-credit AAS aligns with dental hygiene program requirements at various Illinois schools and will thus ease transfer to those institutions, said dean of workforce development Shane Lange.
Trustees also approved:
• Seeking bids for 20 multi-stage welders at an estimated cost of $60,000.
• The hiring of Dr. Jennifer Grobe as director of nursing effective Jan. 4. Grobe earned the Ph.D. in education, specializing in nursing, from Capella University, the MSN from Benedictine University and BSN from Rockford College. She is currently associate dean of nursing and allied health at Highland Community College in Freeport.
• The appointment of Crystal Credi as interim transition and completion specialist through December 2021. The position will be paid through the CTE Improvement Grant, part of IVCC’s Adult Learner Initiative. Credi is currently the administrative assistant for Student Services.
• Release of 2019 closed session meeting minutes from Nov. 14 and Dec. 12.
• Following closed session, approved release of closed session minutes from Oct. 8.
The board learned:
• Online enrollment remains strong. “Although Illinois community college enrollments are down, it is encouraging to see the progress we’ve made in boosting online enrollments. Fall online headcount of 1,770 places us in the upper 50 percent of the 48 community colleges. Learning Resources and faculty should be commended for a job well done,” Corcoran said.
• Summer 2021 sessions include a three-week term, Summer A, May 24-June 15; eight-week term, Summer B, June 7-Aug. 2; and six-week term, Summer C, June 16-July 28.
• Custodian Jon Scott Mercer will retire Jan. 1, and Mary Beth Liss, administrative assistant in Truck Driver Training, a 24-year employee, will retire Dec. 31. Janna Stash, administrative assistant in financial aid, resigned Nov. 12.
• The IVCC Foundation met growing demand for student financial assistance this fall by awarding over $330,000 in scholarships to 325 students. In a campus update to the board, Executive Director of Community Relations and Development Fran Brolley said as of June 30, Foundation assets topped $6.9 million, an increase of nearly $280,000 over the previous year.
• The Nov. 10 Virtual Explore IVCC event attracted 120 RSVPs and 22 students attended the Oct. 27 Virtual College Connection.