BUREAU — A fire thought to have started from a motel room air conditioner has leveled Jonesy’s Ranch House in Bureau Junction.
Firefighters were called to the bar/restaurant and motel about 11:45 a.m. Friday after manager Maricel Delizo said fire was coming from room 110 of the motel, the last room on the upper floor. Delizo said they been to the room multiple times to respond to a complaint about the unit not working and within the hour, the room was on fire.
Mike Jones, who has owned the business for 10 years, said all 17 rooms of the two story motel were just filled yesterday when out-of-state workers arrived for a long-term rental.
“They lost everything,” he said of the renters. “There’s a guy that doesn’t even have clothes for his baby now.”
Delizo said employees were able to get all occupants and pets out of the buildings uninjured.
By 1:30 p.m., area fire departments from Amboy, Neponset, Wyanet, Troy Grove and Henry were still sending tankers to the scene. Other responding departments included Bureau, DePue, Princeton, Spring Valley, Manlius, Peru Ambulance, Granville/Hennepin and Putnam County EMS.