The Putnam County Library District has announced upcoming events for December.
• Tuesday, Dec. 24, through Thursday, Dec. 26 — Closed for the holidays. They will reopen on Friday, Dec. 27, at regular hours.
• Tuesday, Dec. 31, and Wednesday, Jan. 1 — Closed for the New Year’s holiday. They will reopen on Thursday, Jan. 2, at regular hours.
• Mondays, Dec. 2 and 16 — The book discussion group will meet at 1 p.m. The meetings are group directed and there is no assigned book to read. Members are encouraged to share their own insights, opinions and views, and make recommendations. The group meets the first and third Monday of every month. For questions, comments and suggestions, see Linda or Bernie.
• Tuesday, Dec. 10 — Christmas flute music will be provided by Jennifer Etschied from 6 to 7 p.m. She graduated from Eastern Illinois and studied abroad in Salzburg, Austria. She is currently the general music teacher at Deer Park Grade School, teaches privately at Music Suite 408, is an AmeriCorps volunteer and bookkeeper for NCI Artworks. She plays Flute III/ Piccolo for Illinois Valley Symphony Orchestra.
• Saturday, Dec. 14 — A Christmas crafts time will be from 1 to 3 p.m. Participants can make a variety of Christmas ornaments.
• Saturday, Dec. 21 — A pajama party will be from 1 to 3 p.m. The event will include cookies, milk, Christmas stories and a very special guest (Santa) will make an appearance.
• Every Tuesday — A preschool story time will be at 11 a.m. for children ages 2 to 5. There will be stories, crafts, activities and more.
• Every Thursday — Wee Ones, 30 minutes of stories and songs ideal for little ones under 3 years of age, will be at 10 a.m.
• Thursday, Dec. 5 — A Census Applicant Day will be from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Those interested may sign up to help the U.S. Census Bureau for the 2020 census. Pay is $15.50/hour and 58 cents/mile for gas.
• Wednesday, Dec. 11 — Father Dominic of St. Bede Abbey, aka The Bread Monk, will present a program for bakers and readers of all ages. The former PBS cooking show host will demonstrate recipes found in classics of children’s literature like “Winnie the Pooh” and ”Little House on the Prairie,” as well as bread inspired by adult books like murder mysteries and Victorian historical novels. There will be bread to sample, and Father Dominic will have his cookbooks and other items for sale. If you like to read or to eat, this program will hit the spot.
• Thursday, Dec. 19 — A Christmas craft time will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Participants can make Christmas ornaments, gingerbread men and reindeer.
• Every Thursday — Story time is presented at 3:30 p.m. for children ages 2 to 5.
• Saturday, Dec. 7 — Books and Brunch will be from 9 a.m. to noon. This monthly gathering, held the first Saturday of the month, is a time to enjoy coffee and a light breakfast with fellow readers.
• Saturday, Dec. 7 — The Marshall/Putnam County University of Illinois Extension Office will present “Rocket Launch.”
• Tuesday, Dec. 10 — Kids will have the opportunity to explore STEM activities through hands-on activities at 6 p.m. with Sphero’s and Makey Makey’s. This is part of the IEEE Chicago Section Grant.
• Thursday, Dec. 12 — Movie Night, featuring “Aladdin,” will be at 5 p.m.
• Saturday, Dec. 14 — LEGO building will be at 10 a.m.
• Tuesday, Dec. 17 — A craft event, where participants can make a prism bead craft, will be at 5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Dec. 28 — A story hour on the awesome disgusting facts on slime will be at 10 a.m.
• Every Tuesday and Thursday — Homework Helper, an opportunity for kids to do their homework at the library with others, will be from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Monday, Dec. 2 — A representative from the Putnam County Community Center will visit the library from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. to answer seniors’ questions about Medicare and open enrollment.
• Wednesday, Dec. 4 — A Slime and Fact Night will be at 4 p.m.
• Wednesday, Dec. 18 — Movie Night, featuring “Elf,” will be at 5 p.m. Snacks will be provided. Movie nights are held the third Wednesday of every month.
• Every Wednesday — Homework Helper, an opportunity for kids to do their homework at the library with others, will be from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Dec. 5 — A movie matinee featuring “Christmas Vacation” will be at 12:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Dec. 17 — A craft session will be from 2 to 4:30 p.m. Participants can make a wooden ball snowman and gingerbread man ornaments.