Order Putnam County Record

Order Putnam County Record
Get the print version of Putnam County Record.

BCR Alerts

BCR Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile phone or PDA with news, weather and more from bcrnews.com.

Next Marcano hearing scheduled for late September

Man involved in McNabb standoff currently staying with family

Billy J. Marcano
Billy J. Marcano

HENNEPIN — Judge James A. Mack has set the date for Billie J. Marcano’s next status hearing in Putnam County Circuit Court for 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 26.

Marcano, 31, didn’t appear at the Aug. 1 status hearing for his charge of burglary.

Putnam County State’s Attorney Christina Mennie said Marcano was allowed to not appear at the hearing out of concern for his well-being. Staying with his family in Downers Grove, he is continuing to do well as he receives counseling. Mennie added his family is also working to arrange restitution.

After initially being found unfit to stand trial, and subsequently receiving mental health care, Marcano’s behavior in custody greatly improved. He was then ruled fit enough to face the court’s charge during a previous hearing.

In May, his bond was reduced from $500,000 to $15,000 and he was released to his family. Marcano agreed he won’t violate the law while free on bond, as well as to a waiver of extradition in the event he left the state before his pending trial.

A condition of his release is that he continues to take prescribed medications and also regularly see a counselor. After Marcano’s first court appearance, where his behavior was aggressive and erratic, Mennie said the county’s No. 1 concern was that he receive the care he needs.

In February, Marcano triggered a seven-hour standoff in McNabb with the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies had received a call that a male, later identified as Marcano, had used a machete to break through a locked interior door in Moreno’s Restaurant in McNabb and entered while making threats. He had been renting an apartment adjacent to the restaurant for about a year.

He is also alleged to have gone to an upstairs apartment and broken in before returning to his residence.

He remained there until the standoff ended at about 9 p.m. when he surrendered to law enforcement.

Loading more